Free Website Copy Audit
Is your website copy working for your business? Send me the URL and I'll tell you three simple writing fixes to make your website work harder
Official printed-material proofreader and copy editor for Business Showcase South West.
Editorial support, curriculum development and course moderation of online writing courses.
Edit and proofread Engadget's (owned by AOL) daily newsletter -- the Morning After.
Author of a coffee-table book celebrating global press-freedom heroes and editor for several handbooks for journalists.
Writing, editing and proofreading all comms for Red Bull's international audience
What People Say About Me
Alison Bethel McKenzie
International Press Institute
Executive Producer at Red Bull
Wings for Life CEO
Social Guy & Public Speaker
German to English translator
Founder of Melt Content Agency
Creative Director at eyespeak
Dentist at University of Nottingham
Founder of HenQueens
Hello, I'm Lucy
Copy editor, proofreader and writer
I live in Bristol’s Harbourside, looking out across the water. From here, I edit, proofread, create and write for my family of clients. I’m very much in my happy place.
Under my belt, I have tucked an MA in professional writing from Falmouth University, a BA in English lit and lang (yes, fine, and American studies — it was the 90s) and a PGCE (teacher training) from the University of Nottingham.
I’ve loaded my toolbox of tricks during five years teaching grammar, writing and editing at Salzburg University (2010 to 2015), a decade of teaching English as a foreign language (2003 to 2013) and 14 years of real-world commercial wordsmithing (since 2005) that has taken me into all kinds of industries.
I’ve done time in everything from construction to shoes, jewellery to travel, extreme sports to airlines, Lithuanian rock lyrics to curry-sauce packaging. And that’s on a quiet day. One of my subedits, Use With Care: A Reporter’s Glossary of Loaded Language in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, a handbook created by the International Press Institute made it on to Stephen Colbert’s ‘The Colbert Report’ on CBS in 2014.
- Awaiting publication of my American punctuation book ‘Actually, the comma goes here’
- Working on an exciting new training book for a real-life Olympian
- Creating website copy for the amazing HenQueens
- My first byline at Engadget, Keeping kids organised and on task using tech still getting the shares
- Fine-tuning my four-week online version of my write-your-website workshops
- Named official proofreader for the Business Showcase South West
- Sending my congratulations to the guys at Ignitec, who have moved into their swish new pad
- Creating content for my R&D companies, Ignitec in Bristol, DeepImpact in Switzerland
- Looking forward to seeing the curry sauce packaging I wrote the copy for
- Getting my daily fix of editing for Engadget’s The Morning After
- Guiding a dentist in her article writing (yep, she made it into the British Dental Journal) UPDATE — twice!
… there’s more, but no one likes a showoff.
Latest Language Musings
So if you want words to really work hard Online or offline I’m in your back yard
Encouraging children to recraft and be brave enough to make big change
I don't often audit the content production I get through in a week, so this was quite an eye opener.
Six positives if you count annoying any English teacher who’s told you to only write in the active voice. Writing […]